about 5 years ago
It’s time to get started with the Alexa Skills Challenge: Multimodal! Once you have officially registered (if you haven’t done so already) we’ll be sending you regular updates throughout the competition. Submissions are due January 22, 2019 at 5:00pm ET.
Main Requirement: Build (or update) and publish a skill that uses the new Alexa Presentation Language (APL) to add multimodal elements to voice-first experiences.
Your skill must be usable on voice-only devices such as the Amazon Echo, and must use APL to add visual content when used on compatible devices with displays such as Echo Show, Echo Spot, and Fire TV.
- Sign up for an Amazon Developer account. If you don’t have an Amazon Developer account yet, sign up for one (it’s free!). While you’re at the Amazon Developer portal, review the documentation for building with the Alexa Skills Kit.
- Join the community. Thinking about buddying up? Visit the participants page to find and meet teammates. You can see who else is looking for a teammate, check out what’s in their portfolio, and send them a message to connect. Consider signing up for the competition Slack channel, too, where you can also meet other hackers and get your questions answered.
- Review the rules. Thoroughly read the competition rules to ensure your submission complies. Please note that your skill must pass certification in the Alexa Skill Store before February 22nd, 5pm ET in order to be eligible.
- Read up on the Alexa Presentation Language (APL). The new design language and tools that make it easy to create visually rich Alexa skills for tens of millions of Alexa devices with screens. Use of the APL is required.
- Watch a webinar. Request a recording of the recent webinar “Get Started with the Alexa Presentation Language”
- Get a head start on your submission. Fill out the basic fields on the application form and familiarize yourself with the submission requirements. This will give you a good idea of what you'll need to put together. Remember: you can edit your submission as many times as you like before the deadline.
We’re looking forward to seeing your Multimodal skill. Good luck!
If you have any questions about the hackathon, please post on the discussion forum.